AII Round Table on Environmental and Civil Protection - Athens – 21 March 2017
The AII Round Table on Environmental and Civil Protection took place in Athens (Greece) on the 21st of March 2017.
The Round Table was divided in two sessions: Environmental Protection and Civil Protection.
During the first session, organized by the General Secretariat of the Hellenic Ministry of Environment and Energy, participants discussed about:
- The global, regional and sub-regional dimension of the implementation of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs): delivering the Mediterranean Strategy for Sustainable Development 2016-2025;
- The Mediterranean Strategy on Education for Sustainable Development (ESD) and its Action Plan: an integrated framework for applying the ESD commitments of the countries of the region, including the ESD provisions of the SDGs;
- Training on Sustainable Growth;
- The implementation of the Maritime Spatial Planning
- The ADRIONet project, Network of marine and coastal protected areas in the Adriatic-Ionian Region.
During the second sessions on Civil Protection, organized by the General Secretariat for Civil Protection, the main topics discussed, were:
- the Greek national forest fires risk map,
- the Union Civil Protection mechanism (for the refugee crisis),
- problems connected to forest fires and smoke impacts, especially focusing on vulnerable groups
- the use of social media to raise public awareness concerning these issues
According to the regulations of the AII Round Tables overhauled in 2015, the results of the Round Table will be transferred to the Thematic Steering Groups concerned.